Why the name “Flying Peaks”
After the war, my grandfather returned home to Takayama with his son (my father) and my grandmother where they opened a clothing store in front of Takayama station. He eventually started a tourism business called (飛岳) Higaku based on the Chinese characters to fly and mountain peak. I’ve been passionate about expanding new jobs and creating fun things for people through new businesses like my grandfather. It is a person who enjoyed life in a way that everyone enjoys life.
What is YUKIGUNI（雪国）
YUKIGUNI is a Japanese word that translates to “Snow Country” in English. A lot of things have changed over the years, but I hope to honor the spirit of my grandfather as I help people enjoy this snowy country and connect with the people who visit this place!
I am the oldest of 3 kids in my family and grew up in a free-spirited home where my parents ran their own business’. When I was young, my grandfather took me everywhere including the snowy mountains where I learned to ski at Honokidaira Ski Resort in the winter, harvesting mountain vegetables in the springtime and explored the wonderful limestone caves in summer.
I was introduced to snowboarding in high school and was hooked right away. I would catch a bus after school so I could go night riding, snowboarding was my new love. Snowboarding also helped me see the world in a new way. When I was 20 years old, I moved to Oregon, USA and enjoyed living in the mountains and snowboarding as much as I could. My dream had always been to make lots of friends and enjoy my life through snowboarding, and somewhere along the way, I realized that dream had come true and so needed to grow and find a new dream. I decided to return to Japan and see what possibilities lie ahead. The next chapter that I started to pursue was to have a family.
I met my husband to be and eventually married. 13 Years later we now have two sons and are still enjoying life together.
My new dream is to share my experience in the mountains and in life with new and old friends. I hope to help people enjoy their journey in and around the mountains of Gifu and Nagano.
- 1974 Born in Hida Takayama, Gifu Prefecture
- 1990 Started Snowboarding
- 1991 First Overseas Snowboarding trip to HCSC on Mount Hood Oregon, USA
- 1992 Watched the Snowboard World Cup in Shinhotaka. Seeing the athletes from all over the world made me want to become a professional snowboarder and join the national team.
- 1994 Started my professional Snowboard career based in Oregon, USA.
- 2004 Returned to Japan
- 2005 Got married and settled down in Takayama.
- Blessed with two sons who I can enjoy snowboarding and Takayama lifestyle with.
- 2018 Started working as an internationally friendly local guide.